Friday, February 10, 2012

Places more interesting than the moon.

I like this bit from Poppy Z. Brite's blog
I caught the end of an interview with Neil Armstrong. He said, "No, it doesn't bother me that people will always think of me as 'the first man who walked on the moon,' but you know, I'm doing other stuff now. A person wants to be known for his whole ledger." I can't say I identified with this, exactly, since I've never done anything as huge or important as walking on the moon, but I kinda knew what he meant, and I loved his use of the word "ledger." A person keeps that ledger his whole life. It kind of sucks if you're on page 400 and people still think you're the person back on page 23 -- or, worse, if they say, "23 was the best page ever! You should write it again!" [...] Even so, the ledger does exist and you like to think that people will stay up to date with it. Your feet might not have touched the moon in 35 years, but then again, there might be places a lot more interesting than the moon
[emphasis mine]
Its kind of frustrating when the image people have of you isn't right. False impressions from years ago, something you did that they remember but you've forgotten. What I don't like are those that act like they know you better than you know yourself, even if they have good intentions. People change, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment