Thursday, May 5, 2011

New eyes

I read and like Nestor U. Torre's articles in the Inquirer on Philippine TV. His article on the "Cult of Celebrity" is spot-on, which you'll agree with if you dislike Sunday showbiz talk shows, too much of what we don't need to know about people we shouldn't care about.
- - -
I got contacts. I can read signs and see clearly without the frame of glasses. It feels free-er.
- - -
Summer classes are too long and boring I'm glad it'll be over next week, but this semester has been nice. I knew many cool people, and been friends with some of them. I think, since starting college, I never really had friends in school until now.
- - -
While arranging my room, I found the first journal I filled. It was written from October 2008 to February 2009, when I was fifteen. I never reread it until now, two years later. I found it... surprising, in a way of  'I wrote this?' 'I thought this?' Even then, I found a part predicting the future, right on the first page:

I picture myself years from now, found a worn-out notebook and reading again, an altered, other version of a past.

...and that's how I felt, reading the whole thing. Things, dreams, and thoughts I have forgotten. Anyway, I know it won't make sense to anyone but me. It wasn't even good, it was embarrassing, I sounded like a whiny teenager whose problems are self-inflicted and imaginary. The good parts were the ones about the books I was reading... back then, it was escape. I never read as much now as I did back then. A quote I found on that notebook, from Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird: "I never loved reading. One doesn't love breathing."

and from Edgardo Reyes: "Hindi ako makakain sa sarap magbasa. Hindi ko na-re-realize na niloloko lang pala ako ng mga librong yun. Pero nung mga panahong yun, ang ganda."

8 comments:

  1. Wee. Naanod na sa baha mga notebook ko. Way kwenta.

    Ga-imagine ko na ga.contacts ka. Hmmm. Nu color? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wala color, transparent.

    Okey lang na ang naanod. Mas-importante and future!

    Daw gusto ko gani ihaboy na lang to ang notebook. Galing sayang man, kadlawan ko pa ni years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for contacts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ay pat, nakasulat pa to gani ang mga lagaw ta sa Marymart kag sa iloilo sa chaka ta to bala nga computer project.

    @earvin- nami gid man. try mo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sayang kung ihaboy mu! Pfft. Pwde mo pa na ipabasa sa mga anak mo in the future. Hehe.

    Ano na mga lagaw? I.post bala para makita ko! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ang programming project to bala nga may tubig. Lipat na ko gani, basta ang nakasulat, "Nagkadto kami ni Nicole sa GEMS para magbakal circuit board, pero nadula pa kami kag sa UI na nakalab-ot."

    ReplyDelete
  8. aaah! ang katong water level sensor? huo gali. nadumduman ko na. hehe.

    ReplyDelete