Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ode to Electricity [a poem]

(Note: I don't usually write poems, I just want a good electric supply and a future with no blackouts.)

You left again with no warning, leaving me in darkness.
The streets submerged in quiet, the collective hum of TVs, computers, electric fans and radios silenced
I salvage for artificial light: high-voltage lamps and candle-stumps
I wait, and wait, in the false hope that you would go back.

You'll always go back.

Hours pass. I perspire in bed, unable to sleep, I only dream of your return.
A candle flickers in front of the mirror, shadows dancing on my floor in orange and black
I seethe, almost froth in the mouth like a rabid woman, now desperate
Now angry, that they would take you away, but I trust it,

You'll always go back.

Without you, I am unable to do a thing, the night invites demons again.
The wind blows and extinguishes the wisp of fire on wax
The weak white flare on my flashlight stutters and turns off
I bite my sheets, I taste my sweat, in this damp dark I cannot rest.

And I doubt it now,
Will you ever go back?

[P.S. Someone shouts, "Yes, nag-siga na suga!" *Hay salamat pwede na ko ka Facebook!*]

2 comments:

  1. as you get fond to the neon lights the signs of civilization renewed ang built upon by tesla findings the mere thought of the riots after a minute of electricity outage
    where do this come to as matter cannot be destroyed but only change.
    and your facebook i dont know the conspiracy theory that they share our information to terrorist on the midst of the new world order of ilumina the light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... this was just a complaint on the constant electrical outages, I live in a backwards 3rd-world country. And yes, we have become so used to electricity, like the internet its hard to imagine life without it.

      Delete